Why do we call this Nature’s Select Tea? Simply because it’s the best nature has provided. This collection of Camellia sinensis Tea Plants are all grown from seed which means that they are all genetically different from each other. This differs from Cloned cultivars (or our named varieties) which are all grown from cuttings and are all identical.
About This Collection:
We are often asked about the origins of our plants. Tea has been growing in the USA from plants imported over 200 years ago. They are grown all over the country and in many areas have become naturalized. The Nature’s Choice Tea Plants are seedlings from Georgia (USA) grown tea plants that have been in our collection for over 25 years. Cultivars in our area are grown in Climate Zone 8. The average summers are very warm and rainfall varies greatly but plants are irrigated. Winters in our area can range from mild to cold. The plants in our area have experienced temperatures as low as 12ºF in the open with no protection and have had little damage. Our soil stays moderately warm and never freezes.
Temperatures during the winter can range from lows in the 20’s (F) to highs in the upper 80’s (F) in just a matter of a few days. While most of the plants in our garden where seeds are harvested are considered Chinese Type Tea, there are some plants in our garden from other regions of the world. With this mixture of plants in our garden, genetics are flowing freely and seedlings are variable. Seedlings should be expected to perform under the same general conditions as the parent plants.
Each of these seedling plants are excellent garden variety tea plants and can be used for making tea or to add beauty to your garden.
- Tea Type: Camellia sinensis var. sinensis – Chinese Type Tea
- Bloom Color: Varies from White to pink depending on the plant
- Bloom Size: Small
- Bloom Form: Single
- Bloom Season: early fall
- Growth Habit: Dense, vigorous upright growth
- Leaf Structure: Medium leaf tea with moderate texture, dark green
- Maintainable Height: 4-6′
- Maintainable Width: 4-6′
- Light Preferences: Full sun to filtered light
- Plant Uses: Accent Plant, Foundation Plant, Screen or Hedge, Container Plant
- Special Characteristics: Camellia sinensis tea plants are used for making tea.
- Cold tolerant to 25ºF on healthy, well established and adequately hydrated plants for short periods
We guarantee your plant to arrive to you in good condition. If is damaged during shipment. If damaged, you must report damage to us within 3 business days of receipt of your plant. You must document the damage, both box and plant, so we can file a claim for damage. We do not guarantee your plant will live and grow after it is received by you in good condition. We can not be responsible for the care of your plant after it has left ours.